Copyright (c) 1999 - 2003 Nir Sofer
This utility reveals the passwords stored behind the asterisks ('***') in standard password text-boxes.
It supports the following operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
This utility works fine with most password text-boxes, but there are some applications that don't store the password behind the asterisks, in order to increase their security.
In such cases, AsterWin will not be able to reveal the password.
The following applications and OS components don't store the password behind the asterisks:
Asterwin also cannot reveal the passwords in Internet Explorer Web pages, Because they are stored in different way than in other applications.
if you want to discover the passwords behind the asterisks in Internet Explorer, you can download the AsterWin IE utility.
- Netscape 6.x (Passwords in the Web page)
- Dialup and network passwords in Windows 2000
- Windows NT/2000/XP user management tools.
|21/04/2003|| 1.20 ||
- The revealed passwords are shown on the main window of AsterWin,
and you can copy them to the clipboard.
- An additional DLL is no longer needed under Windows 2000/XP.
- The size of the executable decreased to 9K only.
|08/01/2002|| 1.10 || Added support for Windows 2000/XP.
|09/11/1999|| 1.00 || First release. Supports only Windows 95/98/NT.
This utility is released as freeware. You can freely use and distribute it.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in the distribution package including readme.txt, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
Installing and Using AsterWin
AsterWin doesn't require any installation process. Just extract the
executable (asterwin.exe) into any folder you want, and run it.
In order to reveal the passwords behind the asterisks, follow the instructions below:
- Run the application containing the password that you want to reveal.
- Run the Asterwin utility and click the "Reveal Passwords" button.
- The password will appear instantly in the password-box of the application:
The revealed password will also appear in the main window of AsterWin, and
you can copy it to the clipboard:
- If the password doesn't appear, and you don't receive any error message, the application is probably protected against password revealers.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility, you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org