||Password Security Scanner v1.25
Copyright (c) 2011 - 2014 Nir Sofer
This utility scans the passwords stored by popular Windows applications (Microsoft Outlook, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and more...)
and displays security information about all these passwords.
The security information of every stored password includes the total number of characters,
number of numeric characters, number of lowercase/uppercase characters, number of repeating characters,
and password strength.
You can use this tool to determine whether the passwords used by other users are secured enough,
without watching the passwords themselves.
This utility works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows 2000 and up to Windows 8.
Currently, Password Security Scanner scans the passwords of the following applications:
- Internet Explorer 4.0 - 6.0
- Internet Explorer 7.0 - 11.0
- Mozilla Firefox (All Versions)
- Google Chrome
- Dialup/VPN passwords of Windows
- MSN/Windows Messenger
- Microsoft Outlook
- Windows Live Mail
- SeaMonkey Web browser.
- Opera (Version 15 or greater)
Support for more applications will be added in future versions.
- Password Security Scanner cannot scan the passwords of Firefox if they are protected by a master password.
- The dialup passwords of Windows can only be detected if you run Password Security Scanner with administrator privileges.
- Version 1.25:
- Added support for Opera (Version 15 or greater).
- Version 1.21:
- Added secondary sorting support: You can now get a secondary sorting, by holding down the shift key while clicking the column header. Be aware that you only have to hold down the shift key when clicking the second/third/fourth column. To sort the first column you should not hold down the Shift key.
- Version 1.20:
- Added support for SeaMonkey Web browser.
- Version 1.19:
- Fixed to work with Firefox 22.
- Version 1.18:
- Improved the password decryption on IE10 / Windows 7.
- Version 1.17:
- Added support for the passwords of Internet Explorer 10
- Version 1.16:
- Added support for Outlook 2013.
- Version 1.15:
- Added support for Chrome Web browser.
- Version 1.10:
- Password Security Scanner now extracts the passwords from all profiles of Firefox Web browser and reads the profiles.ini file of Firefox to get the correct profile folders.
- Added 'Mark Odd/Even Rows' option, under the View menu. When it's turned on, the odd and even rows are displayed in different color, to make it easier to read a single line.
- Version 1.07:
- Added 'Auto Size Columns+Headers' option, which allows you to automatically resize the columns according to the row values and column headers.
- Fixed issue: The properties and 'Advanced Options' windows opened in the wrong monitor, on multi-monitors system.
- Version 1.06:
- Fixed bug: Password Security Scanner failed to scan the password of Firefox if the password file contained
- Version 1.05:
- Added 'Stop' menu item displayed while scanning the passwords, which allows you to stop the passwords scanning process.
- Version 1.00 - First release.
Start Using Password Security Scanner
Password Security Scanner doesn't require any installation process or additional dll files.
In order to start using it, simply run the executable file - PasswordScan.exe
After you run PasswordScan.exe, Password Security Scanner scans the passwords stored on your system, and then
displays the security information of all found passwords inside the main window.
You can also go to the 'Advanced Options' window (F9) and choose to displays only insecure passwords with
low number of characters or with low password strength value.
- Item Name:
The name of the item. For Web site passwords, the address of the Web site is displayed. For email passwords,
the email address is displayed.
- Password Type:
The type of the password: Web Browser, Messenger, Email, or Dialup/VPN.
The application that stores the specified password item: Microsoft Outlook, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and so on...
- User Name:
The user name that is used with the specified password item.
- Password Length:
The total number of characters in the password.
The total number of numeric characters (0 - 9) in the password.
The total number of lowercase characters (a - z) in the password.
The total number of uppercase characters (A - Z) in the password.
- Other Ascii:
The total number of non-alphanumeric characters in the password.
The total number of non-English characters in the password.
The total number of repeating characters in the password.
For example, if the password is abcdab, then the 'Repeating' value will be 2, because both a and b
characters appears more than once.
- Password Strength:
The strength of the password, calculated according to number of parameters, including
the total number of characters, number of repeating characters, type of characters used in the passwords, and more...
The numeric value displayed in this column represents the strength of the password, according to the following
- 1 - 7: Very Weak
- 8 - 14: Weak
- 15 - 25: Medium
- 26 - 45: Strong
- 46 and above: Very Strong
- Windows User:
The Windows user that owns the password.
For most passwords, this column will display the current logged-on user. However, for
Dialup passwords of Windows, you might also see the passwords of other Windows users, and in those cases,
this column will display the Windows users that created the dialup password.
Translating Password Security Scanner to other languages
In order to translate Password Security Scanner to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run Password Security Scanner with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named PasswordScan_lng.ini will be created in the folder of PasswordScan utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run PasswordScan.exe, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run PasswordScan without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
Password Security Scanner is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
Password Security Scanner, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'passwordscan_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed Password Security Scanner utility.