||SimpleWMIView v1.38 - Simple WMI Viewer for Windows
Copyright (c) 2015 - 2019 Nir Sofer
SimpleWMIView is a simple tool for Windows that displays the result of WMI queries in a simple table, and allows you to easily export the data
to text/csv/tab-delimited/html/xml file, or to copy the selected items to the clipboard and then paste them to Excel or other spreadsheet application.
With SimpleWMIView you can get extensive information about your system, like a list of running processes, services, drivers, user accounts, hardware, and so on...
This utility works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows XP and up to Windows 10.
Both 32-bit and 64-bit systems are supported.
- Version 1.38:
- When pressing F5 (Refresh) the refresh process is smoother, keeping the selected item and scroll position.
- Version 1.37:
- Added 'Enumerate Full Namespace Tree' option. When it's turned on, SimpleWMIView fills the namespace combo with full namespace tree. This feature works only when you run SimpleWMIView
- Fixed to display arrays of 8-bit and 16-bit integers.
- Version 1.36:
- Added /RunAsAdmin command-line option for running SimpleWMIView as administrator.
- Version 1.35:
- Added 'Auto Complete Classes Combo-Box' option. When it's turned on,
you can type a string in the classes field, and the combo-box will show only the available classes that contain the string you typed, instead of showing the list of all classes.
- Version 1.33:
- You can now send the data to stdout by specifying empty string as filename, for example:
SimpleWMIView.exe /scomma "" | more
- Version 1.32:
- Added new quick filter options: 'Find records with all words (space-delimited list)' and 'Find records with all strings (comma-delimited list)'
- Added new quick filter combo-box: 'Show only items match the filter' and 'Hide items that match the filter'.
- Version 1.31:
- Fixed bug: 'Copy Selected Items' worked improperly when setting the 'Unicode/Ascii Save Mode' to 'Always UTF-8'.
- Added /cfg command-line option, which instructs SimpleWMIView to use a config file in another location instead if the default config file, for example:
SimpleWMIView.exe /cfg "%AppData%\SimpleWMIView.cfg"
- Version 1.30:
- Added option to specify user name and password (for remote computer).
- Version 1.25:
- Added 'Quick Filter' feature (View -> Use Quick Filter or Ctrl+Q). When it's turned on, you can type a string in the text-box added under the WMI options and SimpleWMIView will instantly filter the WMI table, showing only lines that contain the string you typed.
- Version 1.22:
- Fix bug: When using /SaveDirect command-line option, the file was always saved according to the default encoding, instead of using the selected encoding in Options -> Save File Encoding.
- Version 1.21:
- Added 'Save All' menu item.
- Version 1.20:
- Added /update command-line option, which automatically show the result of current WMI query immediately after SimpleWMIView starts, so there is no need the press the update button.
- Version 1.17:
- Added option to choose another font (name and size) to display in the main table.
- Added 64-bit version for getting WMI information that is not available for 32-bit applications running in 64-bit systems (like Win32_ShadowCopy)
- Version 1.16:
- Added 'Align Numeric Columns To Right' option.
- Added 'Select All' and 'Deselect All' buttons to the 'Choose Column' window.
- Version 1.15:
- You can now choose the desired encoding (ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-16) to save the csv/xml/text/html files. (Under the Options menu)
- Version 1.12:
- Added 'New SimpleWMIView Instance' under the File menu, for opening a new window of SimpleWMIView.
- Version 1.11:
- The total query time (in Milliseconds) in now displayed in the bottom status bar.
- Version 1.10:
- Added 'Auto Update On Class/Query Change' option.
- Version 1.09:
- The properties window is now resizable.
- Version 1.08:
- Added /SaveDirect command-line option for using with the other save command-line options (/scomma, /stab, /sxml, and so on...), which allows you to export the WMI data directly to a file, instead of accumulating all data in memory and then save them to file in the end.
- Version 1.07:
- Added 'Copy Sorted Column Data' option, which copies to the clipboard the text of all selected items, but only the column that is currently sorted.
- Version 1.06:
- Added option to export to JSON file.
- Version 1.05:
- Added 'Put Icon On Tray' option.
- Version 1.01:
- The current WMI class/query and the remote computer name are now displayed in the window title.
- Version 1.00 - First release.
Start Using SimpleWMIView
SimpleWMIView doesn't require any installation process or additional DLL files. In order to starting using it, simply run the executable file - SimpleWMIView.exe
After running it, you can type or choose the desired namespace (The default is the most common one - root\CIMV2) and then the class name (The default is Win32_Process, which lists
all running processes on your system). You can also type a full WQL query, like 'SELECT * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Priority > 8'.
After choosing the namespace and class, simply press F5 (or the Update button) to execute the WMI query and then watch the result inside the table.
Examples for what you can get with WMI
Here's some examples of the information you can get with WMI queries (On root\CIMV2 namespace):
- Win32_Service - Lists all Windows services.
- Win32_Share - Lists all network shares on your machine.
- Win32_StartupCommand - Lists programs that run on Windows startup.
- Win32_SystemAccount - Lists all system accounts.
- Win32_UserAccount - Lists all user accounts.
- Win32_SystemDriver - Lists all drivers installed on your system.
- Win32_USBHub - Lists all USB hubs.
- Win32_NetworkAdapter - Lists all network adapters.
- Win32_Printer - Lists all printers.
- Win32_Battery - Shows battery information.
Be aware that on Windows Vista/7/8/10/2008, you'll get more information on some WMI queries if you run SimpleWMIView as administrator.
You can easily start SimpleWMIView as administrator by pressing Ctrl+F11.
Connecting a remote computer
SimpleWMIView also allows you to get the result of WMI query from a remote computer on your network, as long as the remote computer is configured correctly to accept
WMI requests remotely.
In order to connect a remote computer, choose 'Connect another computer' in the computer combo-box, and then type the name of the computer you wish to connect.
If you get 'Access Denied' error even when the remote computer is configured properly for WMI, try to switch to 'Synchronous Query' mode,
and try to specify the user name and password on the remote computer.
SimpleWMIView allows you to export the WMI data into a file, without displaying any user interface, for example:
SimpleWMIView.exe /Namespace "root\CIMV2" /Class "CIM_Service" /shtml c:\temp\services.html /Sort "Caption"
SimpleWMIView.exe /Namespace "root\CIMV2" /Class "WIN32_Process" /scomma c:\temp\processes.csv /Sort "CommandLine"
SimpleWMIView.exe /Namespace "root\CIMV2" /Class "SELECT * FROM Win32_Process WHERE HandleCount > 500" /scomma c:\temp\processes.csv
SimpleWMIView.exe /ConnectComputer 2 /ComputerName mypc1 /SyncMode 2 /Namespace "root\CIMV2" /Class "WIN32_Process" /scomma c:\temp\processes.csv /Sort "CommandLine"
SimpleWMIView.exe /SaveDirect /Namespace "root\CIMV2" /Class "CIM_Service" /scomma c:\temp\services.csv
Start SimpleWMIView with the specified configuration file.
SimpleWMIView.exe /cfg "c:\config\swv.cfg"
SimpleWMIView.exe /cfg "%AppData%\SimpleWMIView.cfg"
Instructs SimpleWMIView to instantly show the result of the WMI query without pressing the update button.
Specifies the namespace to load.
Specifies the class to load. You can also specify a WQL query in this parameter.
1 = this computer, 2 = Connect the computer specified in /ComputerName parameter.
Specifies the computer name to connect (for using with /ConnectComputer 2)
1 = Asynchronous Query, 2 = Synchronous Query
Runs SimpleWMIView as administrator.
||Save the WMI Data into a regular text file.
||Save the WMI Data into a tab-delimited text file.
||Save the WMI Data into a comma-delimited text file (csv).
||Save the WMI Data into a tabular text file.
||Save the WMI Data into HTML file (Horizontal).
||Save the WMI Data into HTML file (Vertical).
||Save the WMI Data into XML file.
||Save the WMI Data into JSON file.
Save the WMI data in SaveDirect mode.
For using with the other save command-line options ( /scomma, /stab, /sxml, and so on...) When you use the SaveDirect mode,
the WMI records are saved directly to the disk, without loading them into the memory first.
This command-line option can be used with other save options for sorting by the desired column.
The <column> parameter can specify the column index (0 for the first column, 1 for the second column, and so on) or
the name of the column, like "Caption" and "CommandLine".
You can specify the '~' prefix character (e.g: "~CreationDate") if you want to sort in descending order.
You can put multiple /sort in the command-line if you want to sort by multiple columns.
For all save command-line options, you can specify empty filename in order to send the data to stdout, for example:
SimpleWMIView.exe /scomma "" | more
Translating SimpleWMIView to other languages
In order to translate SimpleWMIView to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run SimpleWMIView with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named SimpleWMIView_lng.ini will be created in the folder of SimpleWMIView utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run SimpleWMIView, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run SimpleWMIView without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
SimpleWMIView is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
SimpleWMIView, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'simplewmiview_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed SimpleWMIView utility.